Encore Boston Harbor lays off nearly 400 workers because of pandemic

SaveSavedRemoved 0
Deal Score0
Deal Score0



BOSTON  — A Massachusetts casino has laid off nearly 400 workers who had been furloughed because of the coronavirus pandemic because their jobs are unlikely to return this year.

Encore Boston Harbor said Monday the 385 affected workers will lose their company benefits starting Tuesday, but could regain job seniority if they are rehired within 90 days.

“With continued efforts from the state to minimize the spread of COVID-19, Encore Boston Harbor continues to operate with a significantly reduced capacity in all parts of our resort,” Encore management said in a statement. “As we take a look at our business during these extraordinary conditions, we do not believe that all Encore Boston Harbor jobs will return in 2020.”

The Everett resort has 2,700 employees working now, with another 915 still on furlough.

MGM Resorts, owner of the MGM Springfield casino, said about 1,000 workers will be officially separated from the company this week, although they will retain their benefits through this month.

The state’s three casinos closed in March because of the pandemic, and were not allowed to reopen until mid-July under capacity restrictions.

0

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

Login/Register access is temporary disabled