10 Reasons Why Women Lose Weight Slowly Compared to Men
We are open to argument on this topic, but certain studies have pointed out that when it comes weight loss, there is inequality in how men and women burn fat and shed weight, and the way both the genders are wired contributes just a bit to this stark difference. Women tend to have up to 11% extra body fat than men and it’s a part of evolution, and we can change nothing about it. There are a whole lot of other factors which can slow down and decelerate the weight loss process for women, but the good news is that, most of these can be reversed. We have always maintained that weight loss is a complex process, but nevertheless achievable, if you are dedicated and work hard enough – by following the right kind of diet, lifestyle changes, and regular exercise are the main pillars that help you get to the goal weight and body shape you desire, but wouldn’t it be ideal if you found out what exactly impedes the process for women and how to remove these roadblocks so that one can lose weight effectively and remain fit forever. In this post, we would list out 10 reasons why women lose weight slowly compared to men.
5 Reasons Why Men Lose Weight Quickly than Women:
1. Muscle mass counts: Yes, since men have more lean muscle compared to women, they tend to burn more fat and higher metabolism – all these factors rank up high in the weight loss process.
2. Form of Exercise also counts: Okay, let’s admit it – we, womenm love treadmill and can walk for hours on it (a little exaggeration), but for most of us, gym means walking on the treadmill and cardio which can burn only a few calories compared to lifting heavy weights. Heavy weight lifting helps to build muscle and more muscle means more fat burn.
3. Spike of Hunger Hormone “Ghrelin”: We all are familiar with that “I am starving” sensation right after a good workout, but when it comes to men, there’s no considerable spike of ghrelin hormone and they do not consume a whole lot of calories whereas women on the other hand, end up eating more after a workout session, and get stuck at a particular weight.
4. Emotional Dependence on Food: Most women tend to turn to food for comfort, and these comfort foods are high in sodium and sugar, and they add loads of calories. Read more about how emotional weight can make you overweight and how to overcome emotional eating in this post. Most men, on the other hand, are not much of emotional eaters.
5. When studies were conducted on women on how their brains responded to the sight and smell of food such as pizza, chocolate, and sweets, they showed high activity in regions of the brain that control the drive to eat, which is not the case with men.
Let not all the above factors deter you because what matters in the end, is the determination and the approach you choose to shed weight, regardless of anyone’s gender.
10 Most Effective Tips to Lose Weight the Healthy Way
1. Maintain a food and workout diary: We often ignore these tiny factors though they might help us to make significant lifestyle changes. If your goal is to lose weight and get fit at the same time, maintain journals to list down your daily food intake and also the kind of exercise you are indulging in because these journals help you keep track of your progress and keep you motivated to do more.
2. Indulge in NEAT activities to burn calories through the day: Just 30 to 40 minutes of exercise in the morning and then going sedentary and into the “couch potato” mode will do nothing for your weight loss. Indulge in NEAT activities all through the day and see the weight drop more quickly.
3. Follow the right kind of diet (Rati Beauty weight loss diet) and exercise (check out the app for different workout routines). Don’t follow random or fad diets off the internet and do not devise your own diet plan. If you fall severely short of calories by going on crash diets, your menstrual cycles and hormones will get affected. Additionally, you may experience hair fall too, so it’s better to stick to the correct diet.
4. Practice Portion Control: Portion control is an essential aspect, not only to lose weight but also to maintain optimum health and to prevent diseases such as type 2 diabetes, stroke, and heart disease. Read about effective ways to portion control your food in this article.
5. Sleep for 7 hours straight: Do not compromise on sleep because when it comes to weight loss both quantity and quality of sleep better! You might be eating right and working out for long hours, but if you haven’t got that 7 hours of sleep, the weighing scale will hardly move in your favor.
6. Stress Less: Easier said than done, but stress is something you absolutely should learn how to keep in check because it is a huge roadblock that prevents weight loss, in fact, the stress hormone, cortisol, triggers weight gain. So, meditate and take your mind off stressful situations.
7. Start your day with a with a protein-rich breakfast: Eat whole eggs, skip bread, in fact, eat a healthy breakfast to kickstart your metabolism. Protein, as we all know, boosts metabolism and keeps the metabolism in check, dig out Rati Beauty diet programs for protein-rich recipes and try them out.
8. Chew slowly: People who eat quickly and at a fast pace are usually putting their health at risk and also tend to gain weight compared to those who take their sweet time chewing slowly. When you eat too fast, your brain doesn’t get the signal to stop once you are full. This means that you often eat more than you actually require. Another interesting fact is that the brain takes about 20 minutes to register that you have eaten food and by slowing down, you can actually reach satiation point during the eating process itself and stop yourself from piling on extra pounds.
9. Practice Water Preloading: Water preloading is a healthy and almost effortless way to aid weight loss. In this strategy, experts recommend to consume 500 ml of plain water half an hour before each meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). Such a quantity of water before the meal will significantly stretch your tummy and as a result, there would be lesser release of the hunger hormone “ghrelin.” This means you would feel full with less food and fewer calorie intake. It is an effective strategy to tackle overeating. It’s a fact that most of us do not consume enough water through the day, and most of the times, we are just thirsty and not really hungry. Frequent hunger pangs are most probably caused due to dehydration and if you can provide your body with more H2O, you can lose weight rather effectively. However, if a person suffers from heart or kidney ailment, water preloading should not be practiced without the approval of the doctor because it lead to fluid retention and shortness of breath in such individuals. Read more about this strategy here.
10. Cover at least half of your plate with vegetables at each meal: Cover half of your plate with vegetables during each meal and this way, your skin would glow, hair would grow healthy, and you would lose weight too